Search This Blog

Tuesday 28 June 2016

Happiness is a four letter word reading experience


I have read on other reviews where it is said that there was a blow-by-blow account of each character's thoughts and feelings at every moment and for the life of me I cannot find anywhere in the book where it rang true for my reading experience

The lessons in this book are huge but I find that I don't like that there are so many double standards in society. Tumi and Tshepo's situation as well as Zaza and Bheki's were the most irksome for me. On the one, the shoe is on the one foot while on the other it is reversed. The 'my situation is not the same as yours' righteous argument always rears its ugly head when confrontations ensue about bad choices made.

Another thing is, were I Thomas, how could I trust someone so flaky? She starts a situation, then when the chickens come home to roost she feels entitled to attention and attentiveness, and is okay to get it elsewhere when not getting it from me? What kind of warped thinking is this?

And yet I have been exposed to aspects of this thought 'leadership' among those I have known in my life.

I did not like the fact that it rang so true to real life in that people who mess up seem to get off Scot-free, in a way. Personally I wanted more agony and heartache for the people who made bad choices, but the writer did not let us in on the torture these characters experienced, before all was forgiven. It seemed the victims suffered more than the perps, and were still willing to let bygones be bygones way too easily. I guess some people have forgiveness in abundance.

Well done Cynthia on an engaging read.

Go to https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/8205613-tumelo-moleleki" to read all my reviews and my journey as I was reading the book

No comments:

Post a Comment