Search This Blog

Monday 2 December 2019

South African Indie Authors whose books you should totally check out


Hi there reader.

As the elected chairperson of the Independent Authors South Africa, otherwise known as #IASA, executive; it is my wish and pleasure to promote the works of its members.

I am here to tell you about South African Indie Authors whose books you should totally check out.

Please note that these recommendations are not all based on books I have read from the authors as I don't read all genres. Some are based on the feedback which I will quote, as shared on a reading platform.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but is made up of people who have interacted with me in this space, and who have thus piqued my interest in their work. 

In no particular order, they are:

  1. Mamotladi Ivy Matloga
I have read Mamotladi’s work and I find her first book #MadnessInDuggard witty, informative and spellbinding. The story of Dooks is one we should all read if we wish to not only understand mental illness in some of its facets, but also to realise that people with mental illness can also live ordinary lives, have ordinary and extraordinary dreams like those of us who consider ourselves sane.
35165056. sx318

You can see her books, as well as get in touch with her on the below links
2.   Pertunia Lehoka
I have read a sample of Pertunia’s book # ProvidenceMysteryoftheSoulTies; which is based on the life and choices of young Jewls, take us on a journey from her birth to adulthood. Showing us the friends she makes and keeps along the way, and the brotherhood between her own brother and a neighbour who is also his best friend. The boys vow to become her protectors from the day they lay eyes on her, having helped entry into this life.

I look forward reading the Sesotho version of this story.

This writer is passionate about mother tongue preservation and the benefits of reading in one’s home language. She is also a life coach, which makes her a keen observer of life and the things that make it work.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZyTE4rr8L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You can see her books, as well as get in touch with her on the below links
3.   Ayanda Xaba
Ayanda is an old writer but a young author. She has been writing for over 19 years and published her first book in 2016. # UlalaTheJourneyofDiscovery is the story of a young police officer named Siya, who leaves his city life for some weeks, to spend time in the village of Mgabaye, in an effort to solve a series of murders in that village. If you like a dose of reality with a touch of the supernatural, are also a keen observer of how live is lived by villagers, then you will enjoy delving into this easy read.
37640333. sx318

You can see her books, as well as get in touch with her on the below links
4.   Busisekile Khumalo
Busisekile writes about romance and all the wonderful things that reading about love stories can evoke in a reader. If you are not intimidated by strong language, in the sense that her writing is peppered in choice words, as well as steamy sex scenes, then you will enjoy indulging in her work. Her books are #TheHarvardWife and #Nomaswazi
40680175. sx318

You can see her books, as well as get in touch with her on the below links
5.   Takalani M
Takalani’s #RoyalMistress series is the story that follows a young man with a big responsibility. Her writing may spot some expletives here and there, but is it largely sanitary. It has a smattering of steamy scenes between this royal son and his battle with his destiny and what he wants.
The Royal Mistress

You can see her books, as well as get in touch with her on the below links
6.   Anelile Gibixego
Anelile writes about aspirations. She follows the life of young and ambitious Nqobile in #iGoliDreams, as she navigates life in the land of opportunities, where she discovers that innocent dreams can turn into nightmares when they meet real life and its challenges. Language and sex are there in the book, to take you into her confidence and show you how liberal and free she is about herself.
iGoli Dreams

You can see her books, as well as get in touch with her on the below links
7.   Ike Obidike
Ike writes a fast-paced story involving a love story across African borders in #ShiftingSands.
Nomathemba on goodreads says “hifting Sands is a pleasure to read. It is well-written. The pace is good even with all the drama. Ike brings his characters to life, particularly Mama Adaku, the matriarch who is so imposing. The story takes one from the bustle of the urban jungle that is Johannesburg, to the relative peace of the village in Nigeria. One gets an appreciation of how similar the cultures are despite differences in language
48196675. sx318

You can see his books, as well as get in touch with him on the below links
8.   Thabang Lebest
Thabang says this about his first published book “The book ‘Khensani & One Star-Born White Boy’ took me more than three years to complete. This is my best work to date and I am so glad that it is finally here. Most of my readers who began the journey with me back in 2012 can attest to the fact that I took a long break from the social media as I was working on this project. Remember your first publication must be perfect, yes PERFECT. The storyline must be catchy and realism must be portrayed.”

You can see his books, as well as get in touch with him on the below links
9.   Lindsay Mnguni
Lindsay wrote a story about his life as a firefighter. His book is titled #FirefighterFirstandForemost. In an interview he said that he wanted to share a story about what it is like to be a firefighter in South Africa, and the plight of those who work in this industry that is under-resourced, but yet so very crucial as a service to the country’s public.
Firefighter: First and Foremost

You can see his books, as well as get in touch with him on the below links
10.                     Mushadu MD Dovhani
Dovhani’s book #AkhonaAVictimOfLove. I have not read this book and I struggle to find anything about what the readers of the book had to say about it.

“The book is out of this world, don’t regret having it. Its worth it, you’re so talented, can’t wait to have your other books.my brother, this is a God given talent. I’m glad I read it.” Makoma Seerene

“From SA authors I’ve only read this book and I must say it was nice and an eye opener.” Mudau phathutshedzo

“Nice story line hey. It’s really a good job, well thought and well executed.” Rendani Nevondo

“I enjoyed reading the book” Tenda Gumula

“You’ll go far with your work. You should really sell this story, I literally cried while reading, felt like a real movie. This book has life lessons. Rotondwa Mbulaheni
[no suitable image found]

You can see his books, as well as get in touch with him on the below links

11.                     Dudu Busani-Dube
Dudu’s #TheHlomuSeries is the story of a family of 7 brothers who met with a tragedy in their young life, how they had to learn to fend for themselves and their different encounters with love. It is salacious, written in easy to understand diction, it hooks you from the first sentence of the first book, #HlomuTheWife. The writing also includes some saucy language, not for young eyes or minds. If you hear someone talking about “bug-eyes”, this is a phrase easily associated with characters in this series.
30520100. sx318

You can see her books, as well as get in touch with her on the below links
12.                     Zanele Dlamini
I read Zanele’s #Plumeria, the story of 3 friends; Zakithi, Ntokozo and Pinky. By far the most confusing book I've ever read. I read an edition that I was advised has since gone through improvements so I'm sure the latest edition flows better.

Of course it may very well be my own shortcomings that prevented me from following the story because of the way it is structured and narrated.

What other readers said about it;

Lorraine Sithole said “A difficult read for me but I persevered. Experimental Fiction is a newish genre which I absolutely love, but the quotes, lyrics, SMS messages, emails and blogs from the internet threw me off a bit. Seemed like overkill.”

Zola Mkhize said “Oh my word. This book is amazing. I just started reading it yesterday but I have cried because almost everything was happening to Zakithi, has happened to my aunt and I was there through it all.”
35711063. sx318

You can see her books, as well as get in touch with her on the below links

13.                     Yvonne Maphosa
What readers said about #TheYinYourManIsSilent;

Mel Tinotenda said “I couldn't put it down the moment I started reading it.. So captivating I felt like I was a part of Fierce's life and wanted to know what happened next.. I'll read it over and over again that's how good it is”

Noluthando Madlala said “Absolutely one of the best reads, I couldn't put the book down, even when I read it for the second time ....and I don't mind the thickness of the book, all the better for me..”
The Y in your Man is silent

You can see her books, as well as get in touch with her on the below links

14.                     Sizwile Sibindi
I read a sample of Zwi’s book #GoodGirl and I discovered that it is the story of a Zimbabwean girl who was raised by strict parents who policed everything about her life..., that is until she went away to university in South Africa. A smattering of strong language was encountered on the sample I read.
33239101. sy475

You can see her books, as well as get in touch with her on the below links

15.                     Gudani Raulisa
I have yet to read Gudani’s offering in #TheYearOfFire.
Here is a hook element from the blurb of the book on a readers’platform
“Gudani Raulisa weaves a heart-wrenching tale of gender disparities against an apprehensive backdrop of cataclysm and student politics, eliciting key reflections on the state of gender relations in our society”
40891812. sy475

You can see his books, as well as get in touch with him on the below links
16.                     Pumza Shabangu
If you are looking for LGBTQ+ love, then Pumza’s #UnspokenTruth is a read you will love to discover. And if you love explicit intimate scenes, then this appetite is well satiated in the book. There is very strong language in the book, so it is not for the prudish.

What readers have said;
Gwen Knights said “This book changed my outlook on life, it challenged my thinking and open me up to the raw truth, we as society rather sweep underneath the carpet, I appreciate how the author doesn't hold back... A damn good read. Black girls rock”
42604596. sx318

You can see her books, as well as get in touch with her on the below links
17.                     Simphiwe Molaba
I have not yet read Simphiwe’s book #SiyaAndFifi, but from what I have heard, as the book was being discussed by those who have read the book, one of the main characters is a detective. So you know there’s bound to be danger and suspense, a thrill ride kind of love affair and mysteries uncovered in the process. It is a fairly recent release that you can be one of the first few to discover and recommend to your friends after.

You can see her books, as well as get in touch with her on the below links
18.                     Ntombi Sibande Letlojane
What readers have said about Ntombi’s #OnlyLove

Fellow author Mamotladi said “Only Love is a story of true, genuine love for fellow human beings. It is a tale of forgiveness, of letting go, gracefully. I'm glad I stuck with the book even after the proofreader in me noticed some errors because the story got more and more interesting & unpredictable, with clever and creative twists & turns. At the end it kept drawing me to read the next chapter, and I finished it in 3 days. Karma is also real in Letlojane's book, and I found that satisfying. It would make for a gripping radio/tv drama”
40674898. sx318

You can see her books, as well as get in touch with her on the below links
19.                     Leeto Mshweshwe
I have not read Leeto’s #RideWithMe, but from what I understand, it is the story of Aphendule, a young and ambitious woman who strongly believes in tradition, culture and yet is independent. She picks her man based on his demonstrated ability to introduce himself, as well as how he carries himself.

It is clear that she is a woman who knows what she wants. But we all know that sometimes things are not what they seem and it is not always that the first impression is the one that lasts. Join her as she rides this man’s taxi, in a quest to get to know him better.

You can see her books, as well as get in touch with her on the below links
20.                     Tirelo Ole Makgeledisa
Deborah Du Plooy said about the book “Wish the cover was on here. Enjoyed the re-release”

Tirelo writes about her life, the mental and sometimes physical manifestations of seemingly contradictory spiritual callings. The new edition of the book was recently released and based on Deborah’s assertion, plus the title, promises to be an interesting read.

You can see her books, as well as get in touch with her on the below links
21.                     Nomathemba Dzinotyiwei
Nomathemba’s book #NoRules is about Pelonomi and her Nigerian hunk, their meeting at an office outing, the turbulent love affair, the ex who shows up just when things are good, the meeting of the two families and the friends that add all the spice to their love life. Also, they speak French to each other to disguise their raunchy over-the-phone conversations during working hours. I enjoyed this book as it was relatively free of the strong language I struggle with so much.
35128023. sy475

You can see her books, as well as get in touch with her on the below links

Of course my own work comes highly recommended from yours truly.

What readers have said about my work;

Lorraine said “Wow, a tightly woven love story. Love for self. For siblings. For others. For family. For parents. For friends.

From the beginning, Tumelo sets the tone for the reader. The characters come to life from the first page. Their personalities are built gradually and I felt them grow. Watched them transform from where they were in the beginning to who they grew into at the end of the book.”

Charlie said “I like the way it starts with a slow build up that adds a twist then gets you hooked to the drama each character brings to the storyline.”

Get in touch with me...
@molelekitumelo on insta.

8 comments:

  1. Well done, Tumelo. It takes time and commitment to put thgis together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. Your feedback soothes my soul because it was a difficult task to source all the information as some of it was not easily available through the usual search channels and platforms.

      Delete
  2. Very well done Tumelo. Thank you for penning this and for providing summaries as well as some short reviews of the work mentioned here. Your tenacity is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tumelo, thank you for this. I have now discovered many more authors I wouldn't ordinarily have know. Just as an aside, "Plumetria" has been reworked and it is better and powerful than the first edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorraine, this makes me very glad indeed!

      Delete